Kuma's Place: An Email To My Friends
My Photo
Name:
Location: Florida, United States

A stroke survivor living in Florida & working at getting back to being "me". I write for me because if I don't, the top of my head may just blow off from all the pressure in the there! It will never win any awards but it's enough to amuse me & that's all that matters.

Powered by Blogger

Friday, August 19, 2005

An Email To My Friends

I may have mentioned it to a few of you, or I may not have. So, forgive me for the lapse if I hadn’t mentioned it previously. Anyways, here goes. Some of you may know (or not) or remember that I had a brain tumor operation about 11 years ago. Luckily for me, it was non cancerous even though it was almost the size of a grape fruit! We had hoped that most of it had been removed, and that what little of it that hadn’t been taken out would not be of any consequence since it was so microscopic, and being benign, that it wouldn’t be a problem. After the surgery, we did the usual follow up with my doctors and everything seemed fine with no problems so I let it go. Hey, I recovered and with little or no problems to boot! So many people, who have been in my situation, sad to say, don’t. A couple of years ago, I decided to go through a routine check up with my neurologist for my migraines since I hadn’t seen him in quite a long while. I hate to say it, but we found that the original brain tumor had regenerated. Fortunately for me, this form of brain tumor is: 1- non cancerous, 2-a slow grower, and 3- it’s growing in scar tissue left over form the first operation which means that no new brain tissue is being damaged! When my first one was discovered, we didn’t have time to do any research into the different avenues of techniques for removal. It was get in there and get it out, or I was a goner. Literally within days. This time, I’ve had two years to do a LOT of reading and ask a LOT of questions of a LOT of doctors. Those two years also gave me time to reevaluate my life and put things back into perspective as well. I wouldn’t say soul searching exactly, but a better understanding of life. After the first surgery and recovery, I went out and tried things I never would have done before, because I wanted to experience things in life. I was given a second chance and I wanted to make the most of it. Things like sky diving, different types of scuba diving, new hobbies, learn do-it-yourself trades. I did something similar over the last two years as well-not all of being new though. I’ve taken a welding class and recently started writing again, gotten onto a bowling league and have gotten remarried. Something I swore I would NEVER do again. But I did, and to an awesome man-someone I had crush on back in high school and who has made marriage a wonderful and exhilarating joy these last seven months. I have never given up my love for animals, and my menagerie seems to grow whenever I am not looking though. I still have my faithful and loving standard poodle Kini who came into my life a few months before the first surgery as well as one of the cats, Pandora, that also existed before that first one. The tiger cat KC, whom I received in the divorce and is an absolute snuggler. Then there is Kuma, my ever hungry slobbery 100lb lab mix who trails after the two newest feline editions Paulie, the male tuxedo and his adopted sister Sylvia, the ninja demolition expert of the house. Let us not forget our ever changing collection of fish tanks that have various African cyclids in them and one bird that calls out to my husband whenever he walks through the door. To stop reminiscing and get on with it, I’m going in at the end of this month to have more surgery done. I’ve settled on a doctor and a type of surgery. Electron knife radiation surgery= Linac. Although, me being me, I did ask if it was possible to have WiFi installed so I could pick up satellite radio and be internet accessible in airports. I got the strangest looks. Oh well. Hey, we asked at the first surgery if I could be turned into a human Pez dispenser or if I could have a blow hole on the top of my head so I could spout water like whales and do sounding noises like them as well. No sense of humor, I’m telling you! This should go well though, much better than the first time around! No long recovery, a few days instead of weeks! That’s a blessing! Last time I woke up with tubes and wires attached to me and no one would let me see myself in a mirror since it looked like I went one on one with a bus and lost. This time, I can come back home right away and the doctor said I can go back to work a couple of days after the procedure as well! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, how to milk this for all it is worth? Nah, I just want to be home and go back to my normal routine to be honest with you. Besides, my oldest brother gets hives if he has to visit me in a hospital and I can’t have all the dogs in a hospital room. Did I fail to mention that I am an auntie to three Shepards? And that they shed copious amounts of hair? EVERYWHERE? And they just love their auntie so much, they climb in my lap and tell me stories and slobber all over me. Besides, my human almost 4 year old nephew can come over as well. He also loves his aunt nan-nell. Who else crawls around on the floor with him and plays cars with him and his doggie Ivan as well as me and his grandma-ma (my mom) do? Yup, it’s a good thing that I spent the last two years researching everything I could about the best possible way to take care of this pesky little brain tumor.

So, now that I’ve gotten you up-to-date, forgive me if I’ve seemed a little distant over the past two years. If I maybe I’ve seemed to have lost track of our friendship or not really paid as much attention as I should have. I’ve been a little preoccupied with things lately. But then, maybe you can understand. In the process of trying to learn and experience everything that I could, and leave a memorable and loving stamp on an impressionable young nephew I’ve also been trying to live as well, just in case I couldn’t.

Dannie

Comments on "An Email To My Friends"

 

post a comment