Kuma's Place: What Happened?
My Photo
Name:
Location: Florida, United States

A stroke survivor living in Florida & working at getting back to being "me". I write for me because if I don't, the top of my head may just blow off from all the pressure in the there! It will never win any awards but it's enough to amuse me & that's all that matters.

Powered by Blogger

Friday, April 21, 2006

What Happened?

I was trying to figure out what on earth had happened. I was staring at the ceiling of a hospital room & I could hear a faint rhythmic beeping noise. I could feel the IV line running into the vein on the back of my right wrist & the bed sheet rubbing against my right leg, but of my entire left side: nothing. The last thing I remember was the date was September 19th, 2005, and the orderlies lifting me onto the operating table & prepping me for the upcoming surgery. The anethesiologist leaning over me and looking into my eyes as he placed the mask over my nose and mouth telling me, "It's ok sweetheart. When you wake, everything will be fine and before you know it, you'll be heading home & back to your normal routine! Now take a deep breath for me and start counting backwards from 30." The room started going grey and fuzzy and the bustling noises of O/R techs faded away.
Now I see my husband leaning over the right side of my bed rail and smiling at me but the look on his face is fearful and there are tears in the corner of his eyes. I go to reassure him that I am fine and to reach for him with my left hand, but I cannot lift that arm, nor does my voice sound right. It comes out garbled, even to my own ears. I begin to panic and what was once a gentle rhythmic beeping becomes a shrieking staccato of an offbeat tune which brings my mother tearing into my room from where she was in the hall speaking with the nurse who had come in with her. The nurse makes a beeline for the noise and turns of the alarm on my heart monitor and lets me know that I need to remain calm.
Wide eyed and half out of my mind with fear, I stumble over my tongue trying to form the words to ask my mother and husband what happened. My husband is crying and my mother is trying to hold my left hand which is now balled into a fist and pulled across my chest in a type of contraction. My mother looks at the nurse who looks at me as she says that the doctor will be in later to speak with me since I'm awake. I reach for her sleeve with my right hand and mumble three words "please, tell me." Whether they were clear enough or not, I don't know, but she knew what I was asking. I'm not a child and I knew something wasn't right.
What I hear is this: "There had been a complication with your surgery." I don't hear anything else and she doesn't say anything else. I didn't expect her to. At the time, I didnt know I'd lost a few days & it was later than I thought and that I had suffered a stroke. I do now.

Comments on "What Happened?"

 

Blogger Mia said ... (3:05 PM) : 

This is great Dannie, I could see it all in my head. You've come so far in such a short amount of time.

 

post a comment