Kuma's Place: Doing laundry is not a dirty word
My Photo
Name:
Location: Florida, United States

A stroke survivor living in Florida & working at getting back to being "me". I write for me because if I don't, the top of my head may just blow off from all the pressure in the there! It will never win any awards but it's enough to amuse me & that's all that matters.

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Doing laundry is not a dirty word

This is a front end loader. Don't fear it. It won't bite you, I promise. It's not difficult to use either! Modern accoutriments in do-it-yourself laundry makes it easier then ever to seperate, sort, load, wash, & dry your laundry all by yourself! The term Doing your laundry, is not a dirty word, I swear!
Let me give you a brief history of washing machines & the theories behind them. I found this online & am quoting directly here to save time: "For centuries, people on sea voyages washed their clothes by placing the dirty laundry in a strong cloth bag, and tossing it overboard, letting the ship drag the bag for hours. The principle was sound: forcing water through clothes to remove dirt. Catharine Beecher, an early advocate of bringing order and dignity to housework, called laundry "the American housekeeper’s hardest problem". Women from all classes tried to find ways to get relief from doing laundry. Some hired washerwomen and others used commercial laundries. Eventually mechanical aids lightened the load." ( http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/story067.htm )
I grew up in a household with two older brothers. My mother worked and was going to nursing school once I hit about 6 years old. She figured, if you could see the door of the machine, you were big enough to do your own laundry. Graned our washer was not a front loader back then, so she cut me some slack & helped me out, but the theory was still the same. Same with my brothers. Now Rob is a neat freak! He gets it naturally, whereas Mike, eh, we don't refer to him & neatness in the same sentence. I, on the other hand, cannot stand clothes on the floor, and yet I cannot tolerate other people touching my clothes! I'll take my dry-clean only stuff to a dry cleaners, because it needs a professional's touch. I'm not a pro in dry cleaning. But you know what? 25+ years in washing, folding, drying, hanging, etc, my own clothes pretty much qualifies me to handle my own personal items. In my house, you do your own laundry. I don't mind pulling your t-shirts/jeans out of the washer & throwing them in the dryer for you, or even letting you do the same for me. But when it comes to my unmentionables..... back away from the front loaders my friend! I could never take all of my personal items to a laundromat & hand them over to a stranger & say.... "see you tomorrow around 6ish." I just couldn't do it. It would be like abandoning my own dog for too long. It hurts me inside to do so. Nope. Can't do it.
My friends, doing your laundry yourself, is not a dirty word. It's ok, to admit it in public that you can do so. It's also ok to admit that you can't. It's nothing to be ashamed of! I know of some people that prefer not to! Maybe that's a blessing in disguise. They might turn their tighty whities pink from washing a red sock in with them. Who knows. Ok, enough of laundry. Now on to kitchens!

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Doing laundry is not a dirty word"

 

post a comment