Kuma's Place: Trust me it doesn't tickle!
My Photo
Name:
Location: Florida, United States

A stroke survivor living in Florida & working at getting back to being "me". I write for me because if I don't, the top of my head may just blow off from all the pressure in the there! It will never win any awards but it's enough to amuse me & that's all that matters.

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Trust me it doesn't tickle!

What you see is what you get. And this is what I wear twice a day 3-4 times a week for 40 minutes a pop each time. This is what is helping to bring back the mobility in my hand. It teaches my brain to remember how to open & close or tighten & release the tensor & flexor muscles along my left arm & hand.
It looks like something out of Star Wars doesn't it? I kind of wish it was. That way it would automatically work & I would already have complete use back like luke did when he lost his hand due to Darth Vader. I remember an old adage: If it was that easy, would it be worth having? In this case, hell yes!
The amount of strain this device puts on your arm & shulder is absolutely amazing. When I was first fitted for it, I could only get through sessions of 20 minutes in length before I wanted to rip it off because it hurt so much, and I could only wear it once a day! Then again, I was barely 2 weeks past my stroke & my stamina level was very low! I despaired of ever being able to mov my fingers in it or of even lifting my arm in it. I was the guinea pig at my therapy center for this device. The therapist who suggested it for my had only just been to the training seminar for it! No other patients had ever used it there & I was the model for all the other therapists & incoming patients to see this device in action every mid morning during my inpatient stay & every afternoon during my out patient therapy visits.
I use it at home now, on my own. Three to four days a week. Regrettably I tore the labrum muscle around my rotator cuff some time in February & had it repaired in March. I had to stop using the Saebo while my shoulder has been healing because the amount of strain it puts on the muscles is incredible. But I was released to start using it 2 and a half weeks ago & jumped back into it slowly. Now I'm right back up to twice a day, 3-4 times a week! Maybe I'm pushing it a little too fast, but that's just me.
I really want use of my hand back. I miss typing with 2 hands on my keyboard and I've really missed playing my flute. You see, there is some latino acoustical guitar folk music that I am itching to try combining up with my flute because there is someone I plan on meeting one day who plays the guitar & flips people the bird. Someone who paints & strums the guitar with a hand that was once as hard to move as my own.

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Trust me it doesn't tickle!"

 

Blogger Mia said ... (4:02 PM) : 

awww@last part. Man that sucker looks painful! You are so futuristic Robo Dannie!

 

post a comment