Kuma's Place: I miss Diving
My Photo
Name:
Location: Florida, United States

A stroke survivor living in Florida & working at getting back to being "me". I write for me because if I don't, the top of my head may just blow off from all the pressure in the there! It will never win any awards but it's enough to amuse me & that's all that matters.

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I miss Diving


Among some of my most favorite pasttimes, diving ranks right up there in the top 5. It's something I've been doing since I was 16 years old. One of the first dives I ventured on after I certified was the Christ in the Abyss in the John Pennekamp National Coral Reef Underwater Preserve off of Key Largo. This thing sits in about 25 to 30 feet of water and is pictured in all of the Keys brochures. It weighs about 4,000 lbs. and is made of bronze, standing about 8 1/2 feet in height. There are actually 4 of these statues around the world, 3 of which are under water and one is on land. The very very first one is off the coast of Genoa, Italy & sits in about 80 ft of water. Professor Guido Galletti cast the original from the inspiration of Italian swimmer/diver Duilo Merchant who wanted a symbol to inspire all who explored and loved the sea in 1954. In 1961, the second casting from the original Galletti mold was placed in St. George's Harbor in Grenada to commemorate those saved from the Italian ship Bianca C. which caught fire and sank in the harbor. The third casting was commissioned by Italian dive equipment manufacturer, Egidio Cressi, and donated to The Underwater Society of America. For Keys visitors, the St. Justins Martyr Catholic Church provided a way for non-diving people to see the statue. They commissioned Ido Demetz of Italy to make a bronze replica which was set in place in 1991. It is located in front of the main sanctuary on US 1 at mile marker 105.5. As for our statue here in the states, it sees many visitors throughout the year and has been the site of many an underwater wedding ceremony!
I personally just miss a lazy day spent under water slowly circling this beatiful statue and seeing how the light plays over it from all angles. I miss watching tiny fishes dart hother and yon across it's base in search of food while eluding larger predators lest they become prey themselves. I know that many people dive who have physical limitations of many forms, but for me, I want use of all my senses as well as to be able to grasp my equipment in my hand for myself. If I can't put my hair up in a ponytail on my own, I don't see how I'll be able to hold tangled monofilament line in one hand while cutting it off from a turtles' leg do you without hurting myself or the turtle, do you?

Labels: , ,

Comments on "I miss Diving"

 

Blogger Mia said ... (1:51 AM) : 

I've always wanted to take up diving.

 

post a comment