Kuma's Place: Almost 10 months
My Photo
Name:
Location: Florida, United States

A stroke survivor living in Florida & working at getting back to being "me". I write for me because if I don't, the top of my head may just blow off from all the pressure in the there! It will never win any awards but it's enough to amuse me & that's all that matters.

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Almost 10 months


It's been almost 10 months since this picture was taken. I don't allow a whole lot of pics of me to be taken too often. Just the way I am. In less then three months, I'll be back up in St. Augustine, Florida. The oldest continuously occupied city in North America. I love it there. I hope the weather is cool when I get there. I love cooler weather. Reminds me of Connecticut growing up.
Yes, I still tend to hide my left hand in most pictures. I prefer it that way as well. I think I miss the person I used to be more then anything else. Or rather, what that person used to be able to do. I don't know if it will ever come back.
I can't believe how quickly the last 10 months have flown by though. I know that I am walking better at least. Don't get me wrong! I still trip over my own feet quite often, and I twist around in a little funky chicken dance or veer to the left-as if I'd been hitting the sauce secretly on the side (hush Mia). I know that I am using the hand a little bit more then I used to, like for opening the frig door & holding cans. It still hurts all the time though. The pain is, inconsequential in the greater scheme of things really. I can't care less about the pain. I just want to tie my own shoes, put my hair up in a ponytail, cut my own food up. Little things like that, people take for granted every day. I know I "feel" the motions that my hand wants to make to do those things. I know that the muscle memory is there. I just can't make the feeling & the memory connect to work in conjunction with one another.
It's been 25 months since my stroke. I am glad I am alive. I just wish I was able to do more with this life.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Almost 10 months"

 

Blogger Mia said ... (2:09 AM) : 

Everytime I see the word "comjunction" i think of that school house rock song...

Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, how's that function?
I got three favorite cars
That get most of my job done.
Conjunction Junction, what's their function?
I got "and", "but", and "or",
They'll get you pretty far.

And you hermana mia have come pretty far in 25 months so let's lift a glass and toast to YOU!
(just don't try to walk afterwards...teee hee heee)

 

post a comment