Kuma's Place: You've Got Nice Shoes
My Photo
Name:
Location: Florida, United States

A stroke survivor living in Florida & working at getting back to being "me". I write for me because if I don't, the top of my head may just blow off from all the pressure in the there! It will never win any awards but it's enough to amuse me & that's all that matters.

Powered by Blogger

Monday, August 27, 2007

You've Got Nice Shoes

When I first started working at Home Depot back in my earlier years, I remember a pair of brothers. Everyone called them Pete & RePete because even though Pete was perfectly fine, his younger brother was slightly mentally disabled. Pete took it upon himself to take care of his brother always. You'd see them walking around together everywhere: in the mall, grocery stores, Depot, and more. I don't think anyone knew what Pete's brother's name was, everyone just called him RePete because he would echo everything his brother said. He was a kind soul and would never harm a fly. I had been in depot for maybe a month and even though I had seen Pete & RePete in the mall before, I had never interacted with either of them before. RePete was trailing along behind his brother when Pete came up to me in the Paint department wanting some help getting a certain color matched for his brother's room that he was going to be painting. I was more then happy to help him out. We discussed the room, & what was in it colorwise, if he wanted washable paint, etc. etc. All this time, I'm keeping an eye on RePete very discretely while Pete was preoccupied choosing a color. My friend Scottie walked through my department and RePete just stood there staring down at Scottie's shoes with his "thinking face" on (as his brother calls it-me I thought he was letting out an SBD and trying to make sure it wouldn't squeak and give him away).
Suddenly RePete throws his arms around Scottie and hugs him tight. Both Pete & I stood there, as if rooted in place like dumbstruck spectators at an impromptu bar fight. Scottie looks like Mr. Clean & to see this big guy being hugged by a smaller, shorter version of himself (bald head & all) was kind of cute. Scottie looks down at RePete and hugs him back. Everyone knew that Repete was not into sudden displays of affection with someone he hasn't known all of his life. It's just the way he is. RePete's face is alight with joy and a smile is plastered on his face as he points to Scottie's sneakers and says "I like your shes. Nice shoes. I want shoes like yours. I like your shoes!" It was a banner day! Pete said that his brother NEVER spoke in front of strangers unless it was to echo his own statements. Pete was nearly in tears over it and so happy. It was a break through of sorts. Scottie stood there smiling & very gently unwrapped RePete's arms from around his waist & pats him on the head & tells him to visit him any time he's in the store.
After that, we would see Pete & RePete at least 2-3 times a week in the store. He would seek out Scottie and hug him and once he even very shyly gave me a wild flower he had picked himself without telling his brother why. I always made sure I had his favorite mints "hidden" at the paint counter in an empty unused quart can for him to "discover" on his own. I worked there for almost 4 years before one day deciding that working 2 full time jobs was going to kill me. I handed in my resignation with my two week notice and hoped like hell I'd see Pete & RePete to explain why he wouldn't see me anymore there in paint & to give him a gift. I almost didn't leave after he started crying when I told him about my imminent departure. He loved the sneakers I gave him, they looked just like a pair that Scottie had & he put them on right then & there & showed them off to Scottie. It took so very little to make that gentle man cry & I felt like a monster for doing so. He swore he understood though & whenever he would see me in the grocery store or mall, he would run up to me & hug me & babble like crazy about shoes he had seen & really liked.
Our shared grocery store closed down & a new one opened up so I started going elsewhere to get my groceries. I got caught up in dating my husband ?6 eventually we married and a few years had passed since I'd seen Pete & RePete out anywhere. Hubby & I were in Depot the other day when he spotted the brothers walking in through the doors & he asked me if I had ever seen them walking around before, they were pretty famous for this & everyone seemed to know them by these names (I still never knew what RePete's real name was & his brother called him RePete as well, lovingly of course). Just as I was about to answer him, RePete caught sight of me and ran up to me, smiles wreathing his face. He hugged me, very carefully since he saw the leg & hand brace & was very curious as to what had happened to me. He wanted to know if I was coming back since no one stocked his favorite mints for him anymore. I opened my purse & pulled out a brand new small bag of them I had just purchased that very morning before going to Depot. I don't know what made me buy them, as I hadn't bough them in a long time. I was glad I had though and he was thrilled beyond tears to realize that I had remembered his favorite & just happened to have them for him! He told me that he was glad Scottie had come back to Depot & that he had reeeeeeeeeeaaallllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy nice new shoes on! Scottie came up behind RePete and patted him on the head in greeting and RePete squealed in delight & just yammered on to the both of us at everything he was doing that weekend. People parted around us, some in amazement that RePete could talk & others surprised at his loquaciousness with Scottie & I. Pete hugged me and thanked me for everything I had ever done for his brother. RePete proudly showed off his sneakers to me. The ones that I had given him 4 years earlier. He told me how he kept them clean & only wore them on special days so he'd always have them. After a few more minutes, I said my goodbyes & told RePete what grocery store I shopped in & on what days so that we could see each other sometimes. Hubby walked out of the store with me holding my hand. He told me that he was amazed at ow many people's lives I touched & never took credit for any of it. My response: Leave the world a better place then how you found it. And there was more to meet the eye in many people, if you just take the chance to find out.

Labels:

Comments on "You've Got Nice Shoes"

 

Blogger Mia said ... (9:54 AM) : 

You made me cry are you happy now woman? It's true you've touched so many lives in so many ways mines included.
By the way i've printed this out and taped to the inside of my notebook.

 

Blogger DannieS72 said ... (11:54 PM) : 

Aaaaaaaaw Miss Mia, mi hermana. It's you that touched my life & made it a brighter place with your friendship & that of your mother's.

 

post a comment