Kuma's Place: When Did We Become Our Parents?
My Photo
Name:
Location: Florida, United States

A stroke survivor living in Florida & working at getting back to being "me". I write for me because if I don't, the top of my head may just blow off from all the pressure in the there! It will never win any awards but it's enough to amuse me & that's all that matters.

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, July 05, 2007

When Did We Become Our Parents?



I'm not quite sure when it happened. I swore that I would NEVER become like one of my parents, especially my dad. My husband swore the same thing about his. But at some point in our lives, we took on characteristics of our parents without even realizing it. I noticed it with both of my brothers first. I even teased them about it. Rob was looking at a broken piece of PVC & thought out loud in front of me "I can use this for something!' Then he looked at me in horror & realized he sounded JUST like our dad! I laughed at him-I was 21 at the time. Pan forward 14 years & I was in the parking lot at my office & some kid goes whipping by in a car too fast & I blurt out: "damn kids speeding like they own the world! Obviously they don't pay their own car insurance!" I just hung my head in shame-it was a 'dad' statement leaked out from my mouth in my voice.

My husband did the same t hing last night. We were at his parents house for dinner for the 4th & Jeff blurted something out as we were walking outside. I turned & looked at him & he realized that he sounded JUST like his dad. I asked him to stop it.

When did this happen? How could it have happened to us? I am so radically different then my father, just as Jeff is from his dad! Why on earth are we turning out like our parents? OK, not in every aspect thank God! But in some of our taciturn statements. ACK! Save me from myself!

Labels: ,

Comments on "When Did We Become Our Parents?"

 

Blogger Mia said ... (2:44 PM) : 

I started becoming my mother some time last year. God help us.

 

post a comment