Kuma's Place: Heard At My Office
My Photo
Name:
Location: Florida, United States

A stroke survivor living in Florida & working at getting back to being "me". I write for me because if I don't, the top of my head may just blow off from all the pressure in the there! It will never win any awards but it's enough to amuse me & that's all that matters.

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Heard At My Office



Sometimes, I just need to get out of my office for a few minutes & take a breather. I no longer smoke so unlike my office mate- I do not go outside every 30 minutes. Nice huh? And he gets disgruntled if I go outside & sit on the bench by the little water fountain (the one you see here actually) for five minutes while he's outside smoking cig after cig for twenty plus minutes! But I digress.

Monday I was outside taking my refresher when Tony, the bio hazard pick up guy, put a well marked (bright orange bio hazard stickers on all sides of the box box) down on the ground about 5 feet from my sitting place. He said he would grab the other container from the doctor's office right next to where I was sitting so he could be on his way. I said sure not a problem. I was sitting there and I like Tony so I'd watch it for him. Who the hell would steal a box blatantly marked BIO HAZARD??? How could I be so naive?

A young black kid-all of maybe 17 years of age was strolling through the complex on the other side of the fountain. He looked over at the box sitting on the ground 5 or so feet from me as I was leaning back with my head tilted to enjoy the breeze. He strolls by one more time & positions himself not too far off to the side of my bench but lined up to make a snatch & dash. I was watching him via the reflection of the glass windows alongside of where I was sitting. I know that the box was brightly marked & that bio hazard was printed all over it. I know this because it was the box from my office. It was filled with used urine sample cups. I figured the kid was either desperate or stupid, or possibly both.

No sooner had the kid grabbed the box up in his arms & taken 5 steps to dash around the corner of the building & into the trees off to the side when Tony's loud, deep baritone rang out in a commanding order: DROP THE BOX NIGGER BEFORE I DROP YOU! The kid immediately dropped the box & never looked back as he high tailed it off the property. I busted out laughing as I looked back at Tony. He giggled as he met my eyes & smiled at me. He said to me: Only a black man can honestly call another black such a name. I laughed so hard at the look on Tony's face when he said that. He just shook his head & complained about people wanting to steal medical waste containers. I did agree with him though. He & I got to talking about Don Imus & the nappy-headed hos incident. I told him that it was a double standard & he agreed with me. "But," Tony said," if Ihad yelled drop the box, the kid would have just kept on going. He knew a brother caught him this time. A mean sounding one at that." I had to agree. I had never heard Tony talk like that or in that tone of voice before! I'd have dropped the box too! LOL. But then again, I wouldn't pick up something obviously marked BIO HAZARD. But then that's just me.

Labels:

Comments on "Heard At My Office"

 

Blogger Mia said ... (2:30 PM) : 

Lmao! Freeze mo fo! lmao.. I love the fountain by the way. Something about water is so peaceful for me. Well unless it's just b4 my "time" then just the look of it sends me running to the nearest bathroom.

 

post a comment