Kuma's Place: Who'll get my parents' ashes when they die?
My Photo
Name:
Location: Florida, United States

A stroke survivor living in Florida & working at getting back to being "me". I write for me because if I don't, the top of my head may just blow off from all the pressure in the there! It will never win any awards but it's enough to amuse me & that's all that matters.

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Who'll get my parents' ashes when they die?

My oldest brother is a pack rat. A bad pack rat! My other brother won't even keep the shipping box his computer stuff came in in case he has to send it back. Out in the garbage it goes! Me, I fall in between the two of them. I'll throw it out w/in a few weeks if necessary. I keep memento's & I have some memory boxes & picture albums but mostly I collect books. My oldest brother Mike, he can't throw anything away! When he moved out & into his first apartment apartment, my folks bought him a small kitchen table and a small sectional couch 27 years ago. He held on to it till I was 19 & gave it to me for my first apartment because he couldn't bear to part with anything. I got his first set of dishes because his wife was tired of looking at them. I can't blame her, they WERE hideous. They had been given to my mom by her father who picked them up at a garage sale for her when she was 18 & had married my dad & she gave them to Mike when he moved out. Do you see a pattern forming here? Yes they were Mikasa's but man wee they butt ugly yellow farm house type things! Ouch. I held on to them for nearly 7 years before they passed out of my life the way they came into my family's life: via a garage sale. The other day I was in my brother mike's garage looking for a screwdriver when I happened upon a bowl from that hideous set of yellow dishes! OH MY GOD! Don't these things ever go away? I took the bowl with me (I know my sister-in-law will appreciate it's absence from her life) & took it to my mom's place. She was sitting at her counter when I pulled the offending object from my carry-all & placed it in front of her. She started laughing and knew immediately where it had come from! My brother Mike is known far & wide within our extended family for never throwing anything out. EVER. He was heartbroken when he found out that the original dinette set he passed on to me had died a gallant death & finally passed on. Come on people, it WAS made out of press board with a faux wood veneer! It's not like it was going to last forever through his 3 moves & my 9 moves! Whatever. As my mom & I were laughing over the dish, my paternal grandmother walked into the room to ask my mom if her & my dad wanted to be buried in the family plot in North Carolina when they passed? My mom answered quite quickly on that: Oh Hell NO! Way to think about it for a second there Ma. LOL.
Mom: Dannie, you know your father & I have it in our will to be cremated right?
Me: Yes ma, I know. You've told me more times then I care to remember.
Mom: You won't let your brothers waste money to bury us or intern our ashes in some vault will you?
Me: Nope. I've got plans for your ashes that won't cost a dime.
Mom: Do share.
Me: I'm going to put the cans in Mike's garage where you guys will rest for eternity or until Sherry eventually convinces Mike to actually throw something out or he drops the canisters & your ashes mix with his sawdust & you get swept up & thrown out.
Mom: (after she nearly peed her pants from laughing) Good enough for me & your father.
Me: You realize that he'll never throw your ashes out & eventually I'll inherit you guys like I do everything else from Mike.
Mom: (rolling her eyes) I know.
Me: (giggling) Rob would just dump you guys in the lawn or down the toilet & then throw the cans in the recycling bin.
Mom: I know. But that would be cool too.
Me: Yeah but if Mike found out he'd have a stroke about it which means he'll give you guys to me.
Mom: (sighing) Yeah I know. One could always hope though that he'd slip up & accidentally throw us out or something.
Me: (snorting with laughter) Stop! Like that would never happen! Someone would one day ask him where you guys were interred & he'd have to say the local landfill! hee heehee heee

Labels: ,

Comments on "Who'll get my parents' ashes when they die?"

 

post a comment